The Backstory of Art at Livermore High

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Backstory of Art at Livermore High

Students at Livermore High School have surely noticed the many murals decorating the walls on campus. Many of these murals were painted as gifts from previous graduating classes, but their history is usually not known.

Nathalie Weber
The Career Center stairs that show the Class of 1989.

The main mural people think about is the mural in the quad of the school’s emblem. It was built around 2006 and says,“Livermore High School Home of the Cowboys.” There also is a student lore about it which is, ‘if you step on any part of the painting, you will get bad luck.’ If you observe, people avoiding to step on it, that’s most likely why. Make sure to watch your step when roaming around campus.

If you look closely, you will notice some of the murals have a classes’ graduation year on it. One class mural represents the class of 1989 and is located on the stairs in the career center leading up to some Spanish classes. It says, “Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Step By Step We Finally Made It, The class of 1989.” 

Another class mural is also located in the career center. It can be found on the second floor right in front of the stairs. It showcases many things such as a rainbow, the Statue of Liberty, a California Golden Poppy and more. It also says 1976 in the middle and was painted in 1977 by Jean Johnson.

Nathalie Weber
The mosaic wall next to the A building.

Another mural on campus is the mosaic wall located next to the A building that was started about 10 to 15 years ago. Part of it was made by Lela Witherspoon and John Asher, the other part by Marion Borst and another person. As for the second portion of the wall, it was drawn up by a student, Hannah Peacock , around 4 years ago and was inspired by the art piece, ‘The Great Wave’. When asked about the mosaic wall, Marion Borst said, “Parents donated stuff like old plates.” referring to what items have been used to create part of the mosaic wall. 

Nathalie Weber
The 125th anniversary bricks that line the entrance to Livermore High.

Continuing the tradition of making art for anniversaries, we have bricks for the 125th anniversary of the school. They were designed by the Livermore High School Alumni Association and sold for 150 to 200 dollars depending on the size. They were available to purchase on the Alumni Association website. They began being installed last year and just two weeks ago, they have started having their plates added on. As for what was written on the plates, new Vice Principal, Darrel Avilla stated, “Most of them put their first and last name and then their graduating year.” They are located in front of the career centers entrance to the school and line the walkway. All the gold metal plates should be completely added on soon. If you would like to purchase one, more will be sold at a booth during homecoming week.

Throughout these years there have been many murals put up and hopefully more will be added to the campus in the future. Brett Christopher, vice principal at LHS stated, “I put out an initiative to students last year to submit mural ideas to me so we could get them painted. I unfortunately only got a couple submissions.” He also said, “When we want to paint new murals on to campus somewhere, we’d like them to have a purpose, and that purpose can be based upon place or time or class.” Sometime soon, optimistically, students and staff can look forward to the creation of more murals around our campus.