Mental Health Matters

Mental health has always been a tough obstacle for teenagers to face, especially when it comes up at school. Livermore High School has set up many resources for students to make school life easier, but are students aware of this?

Many students interviewed for this article were not aware that there are a variety of support systems on and off campus available to them.

The most known resource students knew about was the counselors on campus. Even then, students stated that they trusted their close friends and family more than they would a member of school faculty.

Sadie Lloyd (grade 9) stated, “Maybe if we were closer with the counselors we would feel more comfortable talking to them about our mental state.” 

When speaking with more students, it became more and more apparent that Livermore High provides many resources to assist with teens that face mental health struggles, but students don’t know of all of the resources that LHS has to offer to kids that are struggling. Natalie Lloyd (grade 12) stated, “Even though I’ve been at LHS for four years, I still haven’t been told what help I have at school”.

At Livermore High there are counselors that are trained to help students with specific issues. As I interviewed Deborah Rogers, an on campus psychologist, she explained that there are academic counseling, drug and alcohol counseling, and crisis counseling available on campus. Livermore High offers Project Eden, La Familia, ABLE, East Bay Relationship Center, First Generation, Brief Intervention, COST, TUPE, and Horizons.

Project Eden is a drug/alcohol rehabilitation and treatment program. La Familia is group counseling, one on one, family services, suicide prevention, crisis intervention, and grief counseling.  This program provides support for health care services. ABLE is primarily for, but not limited to, African American students, with emphasis on community building, social issues, career guidance and mentorships. 

East Bay Relationship Center is focused on LGBTQ+ and provides social and emotional support. First Generations Goal is to ensure that all migrant students reach challenging academic standards and graduate with a high school diploma. It also prepares them for responsible citizenship, further learning, and productive employment. Brief Intervention is a counseling service for drug and alcohol.  This program provides evidence based practices designed to motivate students at risk of substance abuse and related health problems to change their behavior.

COST brings together all support service providers at a school site.  The team develops and monitors programs and resources that enhance prevention and intervention efforts contributing to student success. TUPE is a drug education and prevention program. And finally, Horizon is a program that tries to reduce the amount of suspensions a student is receiving.

All sources are formulated by the school to benefit students, teachers, and parents. Rogers also stated that there should be a new first aid training program sometime soon starting for tenth grade students. This program will provide teachings that will help students know what to look for when you suspect that anyone is struggling with mental illness. When asked what the first thing a student should do when looking for mental help, Rogers stated, “Find a trusted adult on or off campus”. Finding more ways to be aware of as well as treat mental health and influence it in schools, teenage education will continue to improve.