Filed under Opinions

Standardized Testing Doesn’t Work

Back to Article
Back to Article

Standardized Testing Doesn’t Work

In general, most kids in highschool are not excited about taking tests, especially standardized tests.

If you don’t know, though you probably have taken one, standardized tests are assessments that require test takers to answer the same questions in the same way.

Nowadays, most tests like these are administered on computers, like the Child and Adolescent Service System Program testing highschool students take annually.

Most people also don’t know, though, that standardized testing does not teach students to learn more info, but to learn how to take the test itself.

Instead of spending more time on carefully reviewing all subjects of school (science, social studies, the arts, etc.), teachers have to spend more time giving lessons in the subjects covered on standardized tests.

These tests are built around people with economic advantages, such as “preparing” for tests using practice proctors and assessments, which gives those with less money a disadvantage.

Taking the test in an artificial environment makes standardized tests feel unnatural, because it doesn’t relate to a real-world space where references and tools can be used.

Another setback from taking assessment tests is the lack of retaining information, studies showed, that studying for the tests focuses primarily on short term memory.

The stakes of the test are significantly higher than others, such as free response assessments, and the number of standardized tests that have to be taken are also increasing due to the broadening of the curriculum.  

Furthermore, the tests also limit the response so that the answers have to be similar to one, which doesn’t value creativity or diversity.

But yet, even with the facts to prove that free-response out-scores standardized tests, school districts across America are still based around the assessments.

So why don’t we change?