Filed under News

LHS Students Take Credit for Vaping Poster

The+sign+appeared+some+time+during+first+period+on+Tuesday%2C+March+19.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The sign appeared some time during first period on Tuesday, March 19.

Madelyne Gold

Madelyne Gold

Madelyne Gold

Last week on Tuesday Mar. 19, a poster was put up across the Livermore High School student union regarding the student vaping situation.

The poster read, “Stop vaping we want to pee.”

Wade Matthews (12) created the poster after an ASB meeting where school safety was discussed. Cauy Cutchen (12) joined in and helped make the poster.

Posters were put up in the student union, science quad, and the main building.

“Somehow vaping in the bathrooms came up and the saying for the poster just popped in my head,” Matthews stated.

“It was meant more as a joke than anything.”

“Mr. Christopher ended up coming out and taking it down and talked to us about it. It turns out vandalism is a big part of the reason they lock the bathrooms as well. So originally the plan for the posters were to get admin’s attention, which we didn’t think it would but it did,” stated Cutchen.

Cutchen mentioned there are several teachers that are in support of the posters.

Matthews said, “[We made the sign] mostly to get admin to unlock bathrooms and find a different way to prevent vaping and vandalism…I don’t think it is logical or fair to anyone to lock every bathroom except the worst bathroom, the 500s, and the library which is only one person at a time.”

Cutchen said, “Since Mr. Christopher told us that vandalism is part of the problem as well, we are going to try and get more of leadership involved in making more anti-vandalism posters and sending messages out to the population of the school to try and raise more awareness on the topic of vandalization on our campus.”

There was also a pro-vaping poster made in response to Matthews’ and Cutchen’s original sign. It read, “Stop peeing we want to vape.”

As for the pro vaping poster, Cutchen stated, “The poster that was made in response to our posters was simply a joke that was made by one of our peers. The person that made it was doing it as a joke, I advised it not to be put up but it was put up anyway.”

Student Marjan Elaha (12) saw the poster on other student’s Snapchat.

Elaha said, “It’s like whatever. People are gonna look at the poster. People are gonna vape.”

The locked bathrooms have not affected her, but she has heard complaints from classmates about the added time to find a bathroom during class time.

“I don’t care about vaping. It’s their personal choice,” Elaha expressed. “Closing down bathrooms is not a solution. It’s moving the area to somewhere else.”

Ranjeet Kaur (12) said, “It’s a great idea. It shouldn’t have been taken down.”

Jessi Orario (11) stated, “I love them. They were very encouraging.”

“They should be kept up. They were funny,” Orario said. “They’re just gonna vape outside and in the classrooms.”

Vice Principal Tom Fletcher stated, “[I have] no problem with students speaking their mind on any topic.”

Fletcher mentioned his appreciation for the student’s willingness to speak up.

“It’s not the best avenue, but I understand.”

As for restrooms being closed, Fletcher said both boys and girls restrooms have been closed in the science quad and 500 building.

Cutchen stated, “In my opinion locking the bathrooms as a punishment towards the students that vaped or vandalized them is simply ridiculous. The bathrooms shouldn’t be closed period. If they do continue to be closed then we will try to make more of an effort to have admin realize that locking the bathrooms is wrong.”

“It shouldn’t have been put in place in the first place because of the reasons of needing to actually use the bathrooms for emergency reasons…[students]need to be able to access the bathrooms because if they don’t there could be health consequences that they have to deal with.”