Filed under Sports

Boys’ Basketball Improves Throughout Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Early November marked the start of both boys’ and girls’ basketball season for 2018. Boys varsity’s first game was Nov. 23 and resulted in a loss of 65-70 versus Oakdale High School.

Reflecting on the first game, Athletic Director and Varsity Coach James Petersdorf said, “The first half was a loss, but by the second half the real team showed up.”

Junior varsity played Kennedy High School and resulted in a loss of 61-68. The freshmen team lost 39-52 against KHS.

Petersdorf explained, “The fire killed early season games. It created a slow start to the season.”

The November Camp Fire resulted in large clouds of smoke surrounding Livermore and the Bay Area. Due to health concerns, both games and team practices were cancelled.

Varsity players Grant Dufek (12), Malachi Johnson (11), Antoine Evans (12), and Gabriel Navarro (12), agreed their best game was on Nov. 27 against Tennyson High School.

The freshmen team also won playing THS with a final score of 47-28.

As for their most challenging game, Ygnacio Valley High School took the win with a final score of 50-73.

“The practices are very hard working,” stated Johnson. During practices, the team watches game film, works on plays, and works on conditioning.

Petersdorf stated the best practices are when the team is focused.

Dufek shared, “Hopes are high and there has been a great team effort.” He hopes the team can play to the NCS Playoffs.

Johnson aspires for the team to win Ebal and make the playoffs. Navarro added he thinks the team should win the game against Granada High School.

Petersdorf stated, “I want the young guys to get better and the seniors to enjoy the season.”

Freshman Team coach Antwan Prior shared, “The team is the building blocks to the future.” He wants the freshman players to eventually move into junior varsity and varsity teams.

Prior hopes throughout the season the players improve their knowledge and skills of the game. The freshman team played Mission San Jose High School on Dec. 7 and lost 34-51.

The junior varsity team’s most recent game on Dec. 5 ended with a win of 65-63 versus Concord High School. The varsity team also played Mission San Jose on Dec. 7 with a final score of 37-64.

For future game score updates, check out the Livermore High School MaxPreps.