Christmas Movies You Should Watch This Holiday Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

December is here, and so is the Christmas spirit. These are the top 15 Christmas movies, in no particular order, to watch this holiday season.

1. “Frosty the Snowman” (1969)

This movie is the definition of a classic. “Frosty the Snowman” is a must watch this holiday season. Between the magic of Frosty and the enchanting nature of the North Pole, this movie is packed with everything the viewer would enjoy for the holiday season.

1. “Krampus” (2015)

“Krampus” tells the story of a dysfunctional family that unleashes a demon on the family. This movie isn’t necessarily scary, but it shows how a family must come together to defeat this evil spirit. This movie helps define the necessity of good  Christmas spirit.

1. “A Christmas Story” (1983)

“A Christmas Story” has very memorable moments throughout the movie. The funny and quirky scenes in this film are part of what make it such an iconic Christmas film. It’s another one of those movies that is a necessity for the Christmas season.

1. “Home Alone” (1990)

“Home Alone” is a classic and a must-watch with family and friends. This movie shows the creativity and freedom of an 8 year old who is home alone, but gets into trouble as house burglars try to break in. Overall, it is a very fun movie for all viewers to watch and laugh at.

1. “Arthur Christmas” (2011)

This is more of a recent christmas movie, but it is already a classic. “Arthur Christmas” shows just how hard Santa’s job really is. It is a fun movie about Santa’s son, Arthur, giving the last gift out to a forgotten child.

1. “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” (1989)

Watching the Griswold family’s adventures is always a fun experience. This movie is filled with comedic moments as the family tries to piece together the perfect Christmas. “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” features a lot of laughs and iconic scenes.

1. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964)

This is many people’s first Christmas movie they ever saw. The film tells the story of Rudolph and explains the origin of the famous song, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” The film also teaches the audience that  it’s okay to be different.

1. “A Christmas Carol” (2009)

This film is based on the original tale of the three ghosts that haunt a miserable man named Scrooge. They show him his Past, Present, and Future. “A Christmas Carol” reinvents the idea of where wickedness could lead. This movie shows the warmness that can be felt when you appreciate everything you have and to be nice to those around you.

1. “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (1965)

If any movie on this list will give you a laugh and teach you a valuable lesson, it is this one. This movie is filled with entertaining and heartwarming moments, and is one of the original classics.

1. “The Santa Clause” (1994)

“The Santa Clause” is a comedic movie that shows Santa’s death and tells the story of the person who’s “at fault.” Scott, the man responsible for Santa’s death, is then forced to become Santa. After being teleported to the North Pole and gaining weight due to his job as Santa, Scott must make Christmas still happen.

1. “Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

Although, “Nightmare Before Christmas” can arguably be described as a Halloween movie, this still made the list because of how entertaining it is to see Jack Skeleton trying to take over Christmas. He gives out scary toys that frighten children and ultimately realizes that it is Santa’s job and not his.

1. “The Polar Express” (2004)

Don’t watch this movie without hot chocolate, because you will be craving it in this movie. “The Polar Express” tells the story of  a train on its way to the North Pole that goes on a wild adventure through Santa’s workshop.

1. “Elf” (2003)

Will Ferrell does an amazing job showing the audience what a human elf would be like. “Elf” is a comedic movie showing an elf-raised human that is trying to meet his biological dad. This movie is always a good time.

1. “Scrooged” (1988)

Similar to “A Christmas Carol”, “Scrooged” shows the Christmas Eve of a cold-hearted man. After firing someone on Christmas Eve, Frank is visited by the Christmas ghost who tries to change his ways.

1. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (2000)

Besides Jim Carrey’s amazing acting as the Grinch, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is a funny movie that shows the development of the Grinch throughout the film. This movie is a must watch this Christmas season.

About the Writer
Dylan Nagore, News Editor

Dylan Nagore is a senior at Livermore High School. Dylan just moved to Livermore from Florida in June of 2018. He enjoys public speaking, and even speaks...