Filed under Breaking News, News

Unhealthy Air Quality Forces Closure of LVJUSD Schools

Smoke+fills+the+air+around+the+Altamont+Pass%2C+obscuring+the+iconic+hills+and+windmills+on+the+way+into+Livermore.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Smoke fills the air around the Altamont Pass, obscuring the iconic hills and windmills on the way into Livermore.

Torch Staff

Torch Staff

Torch Staff

Schools in the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District (LVJUSD) and districts across Alameda County were closed Nov.16. In an email to parents of students at Livermore High School, Livermore High School Principal Vicki Scudder stated that the decision to cancel school was made due to “ongoing air quality issues in the region.”

The air quality issues are a result of several large fires in Northern California. Shifting winds have blown smoke from these fires southward, resulting in Air Quality Index (AQI) numbers between 150 and over 200 for the last few days in the tri-valley region and around the Bay Area.

In another email to parents, students, and staff, LVJUSD Director of Community Engagement Philomena Rambo explained, “Closing schools includes closing programs held at our schools. No sports activities with other schools will take place.”

“As we enter Thanksgiving Week, we are especially grateful that our community, while dealing with uncomfortable shifts in air quality, is intact,” Rambo continued.

Finals for LHS students’ third and fourth-period classes were to be held Nov. 16, but have been rescheduled to Nov. 26, after the Thanksgiving break.

Any textbooks to be returned will be due at the end of the day on Nov. 26 as a result of the cancellation of school, according to an email sent by LHS Librarian Stephanie Bogetti.

About the Writer
Riley Johanson, Editor-in-Chief

Riley Johanson is a Sophomore at Livermore High School in her second year of Journalism. Riley was the Opinions Editor for The Torch last year and is now...