Filed under Opinions

Do Students Prefer Trimesters or Semester?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Each school district has a different way of doing things that make their environment work more efficiently.  Some kids have never experienced the semester system and could be potentially missing out on a different opportunity to learn a possibly better way than the trimester system.

The trimester system consists of three sections of a school year each separated by a two to three-week break. Each trimester is usually 12 to 13 weeks long and summer is usually six or seven weeks long.

Laura Gonzalez (11) said, “The trimester system is better because you get two to three different teachers within a class and they could potentially be different each time so it helps you to learn using different techniques.”

The semester system is two semesters with four quarters separating it all. This system gives you the chance to take more classes within each quarter. Each section is 15 weeks long and is separated by a winter or summer break. With this system, you are able to get more thorough instruction from the teaching staff.

Briana Arguello (11) said, “I like the semester system better because it gives you more time to learn in the classes and they don’t change as frequently.”

A large amount of students prefer the semester system because it gives each student the chance to fully understand a concept before moving onto the next one along with it giving the teaching staff more time to explain a subject in depth and include more material about a certain subject within each class.

Overall, these two learning systems both have their advantages and disadvantages but it comes down to the work and dedication each student is willing to put into their school work to get the better grade.

About the Writer
Makenna Luke, Staff Writer

Makenna Luke is a Junior at Livermore High School, She has been on the varsity softball team since Freshman year. In her free time, she will usually be...