Filed under News

Wildfires Wreak Havoc in California

LHS+students+hold+clothing+over+their+faces+after+school+on+Nov.+9+as+smoke+from+the+Camp+Fire+and+other+regional+wildfires+in+California+darkened+the+skies+over+Livermore.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Wildfires Wreak Havoc in California

LHS students hold clothing over their faces after school on Nov. 9 as smoke from the Camp Fire and other regional wildfires in California darkened the skies over Livermore.

Torch Staff

Torch Staff

Torch Staff

Two fires have emerged in California and are having deadly effects on the people close to the fires, and those who are at a distance from them.

The “Camp Fire” in Butte County has now burned over 125,000 acres of land and is only at 30% containment. There are thousands of firefighters fighting this fire.

The town of Paradise has completely burned down. Cal Fire said in an update on Nov. 12, “Last night firefighters continued to hold established containment lines.

The Camp Fire has taken 43 lives and the number is still rising by the day.

The Woolsey fire is in the south and has taken two lives. As of Nov. 12, the fire has burned over 95,000 acres and is at 30% containment.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said, “If you’ve been up there, you also know the magnitude of the scene we’re dealing with. I want to recover as many remains as we possibly can, as soon as we can. Because I know the toll it takes on loved ones.”

California has seen very bad wildfires, but these two fires are doing a number on the state. Trump tweeted, “I am with you all the way. God Bless all of the victims and families affected.” 

The air quality in all of the bay remains unhealthy. As in Livermore, the air quality is reported as poor or unhealthy. For the most part, all outdoor sports activities have been canceled due to the poor air quality.

Students here at LHS were seen wearing dust mask on Friday, Nov. 9. Students with asthma had an especially hard day, as many students needed their inhalers on them at all times.

The LVJUSD Director of Community Engagement, Philomena Rambo, has been sending out daily updates for all of LVJUSD. As of Nov. 13, the district is trying to limit the amount of student and teacher activity outside by canceling practices and making the Physical Education classes do indoor activities. Students are also being encouraged to spend their lunch periods indoors. 

This is the update on the fires as of Nov. 13. There will be more updates to come.

About the Writer
Dylan Nagore, News Editor

Dylan Nagore is a senior at Livermore High School. Dylan just moved to Livermore from Florida in June of 2018. He enjoys public speaking, and even speaks...