Filed under Opinions

Should Families Have Holiday Traditions?

Many families have annual traditions, especially when it comes to the Holiday season. These traditions may be ranging back hundreds of years, or they may just be a few years old.

A tradition is the transfer of customs or beliefs from one generation to another.

Some of the most common holiday traditions include making cookies with your family to give to friends,  Elf on the Shelf, and volunteering to help the homeless. These traditions help us feel a sense of connection with our families and they allow us to achieve a closer bond with others.

Traditions can benefit you in many ways such as giving you structure and stability as well as giving you a sense of familiarity. This familiarity gives you morals and helps you grow as a person.

Traditions can be passed on from generation to generation and when your grandkids’ grandkids are participating in the tradition that your family started, they will all think of you. These traditions give you an at home feeling, as if you still have a piece of someone that you may no longer have. Holiday traditions give kids something to look forward to every year.

In essence, every family should have holiday traditions because they give your family a sense of unity and they bring everyone together for special time together each year. If your family doesn’t have any special holiday traditions, start one. After all, all you need is your family.

About the Writer
Heni Mekeres, Staff Writer

Heni Mekeres is a junior at LHS. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, watching property brothers, and redecorating her room every 2 weeks....