Filed under Sports

MLB Postseason

The Major League Baseball Postseason has passed and here is all of the information to recap the 2018 Postseason.

The division leaders from the American League were the Boston Red Sox (108-54), the Cleveland Indians (91-71), and the defending champs, the Houston Astros (103-59). The two Wild Card teams were the New York Yankees (100-62), and the Oakland A’s (97-65).

The division leaders from the National League were the Atlanta Braves (90-72), Milwaukee Brewers (96-67), and Los Angeles Dodgers (92-71). The two Wild Card teams were the Chicago Cubs (95-68), and Colorado Rockies (91-72).

For the American League Wild Card game, the Oakland A’s had the difficult task of going into Yankee stadium. The Yankees had a dominant game, defeating the A’s 7-2. This was to no surprise due to the fact that the A’s even making it to the postseason was shocking enough.

This gave some people hope at the possibility of two of the highest payroll teams (L.A. Dodgers and N.Y. Yankees) going against each other in the World Series. The Yankees would first have to beat the Red Sox for this to appen.

On the National League side, the series was a lot better. The Chicago Cubs hosted the Colorado Rockies in a game that was one heck of a battle. The Rockies have always hit better at home during the season so it was understood that they were the underdogs.

However, the game was tied 1-1, and it went into extra innings. The game was finally over with a go ahead run by Trevor Story that would send the Rockies to the next round. The Rockies won 2-1.

The first round of the postseason were four dominated series.

The American League first had the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees. The Red Sox won game 1, 5-4 in a close one. The Yankees took game two with a 6-2 win to tie the series at one a piece.

The Red Sox would seal the deal with game three and four with scores of 16-1, and 4-3  to bring them closer to the World Series. The Red Sox were the better team in this series and they moved on to the next round rightfully so.

The other AL game was the Houston Astros and Cleveland Indians. The defending champs were heavy favorites in this series as they proved they should be by sweeping the Indians. The Astros dominated in 7-2, 3-1, and 11-3 wins over the Indians.

The Astros would now have a tougher challenge as they would have to go into Fenway Park and beat the Red Sox.

The National League had the L.A. Dodgers and Atlanta Braves. The Braves won one game at home but, this series was dominated by the Dodgers. The Dodgers won game one, two, and four by scores of 6-0, 3-0, and 6-2.

The Dodgers were a dominant team, and it looked like no one could could compete with them in the NL.

The other series was the Milwaukee Brewers and Colorado Rockies. There is not much to say about this series except that the Brewers handled the Rockies with 3-2, 4-0, and 6-0 wins.

This was the second sweep in the postseason. This series win also meant that the Brewers would be hosting the Dodgers in a series they were the underdog in.

The AL Championship was between the Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros. The Astros went into Fenway park and won 7-2 in the first game. This was a much needed win for the Astros but it wouldn’t help them with the inevitable.

The Red Sox won the next four games 7-5, 8-2, 8-6, and 4-1. Even though the Red Sox almost swept the Astros, the Astros were always in it. However, the Red Sox would continue on to the World Series.

The NL Championship was between the L.A. Dodgers and Milwaukee Brewers. This was an absolutely amazing series. It was a fight all the way up until the last game.

The Brewers took game one by a close win of 6-5. The Dodgers took game two with another close win 4-3. Game three however, was all Brewers with a 4-0 win. The Dodgers won game four and five, 2-1, and 5-2. In a must need win for the Brewers, they won game six by a dominant 7-2 win. The final game was all Dodgers in a 5-1 win.

This series was incredible to watch but helped show that the Dodgers weren’t as dominant as some may have thought.

The World Series was now official; the Boston Red Sox would face the L.A. Dodgers.

In game one, the Red Sox won 8-4 at home to start the series off on the right foot. Thanks to Mookie Betts stealing second base; anyone in America could go to a Taco Bell on Nov. 1st for a free taco. Game two was taken by the Red Sox in a closer win of 4-2.

As the series went into L.A., the Dodgers were able to win in record setting game. Game three was won by the Dodgers 3-2 in the 18th inning.

This game was a record setting 7 hours and 20 minutes long. It also had the most players played (46 combined) and the most pitchers used (18 total). This game had the most strikeouts with 34. To top it off, this game also had 518 pitches thrown; which is almost as much as the first two games combined.

Celebration for the Dodgers was short lived as the Red Sox did not hold back for games four and five. The Red Sox won both in L.A. by scores of 9-6, and 5-1.

The better team in this series won; as they say the better team wins in series of seven 99.9% of the time. The 2018 World Series Champions are the Boston Red Sox in a series win over the L.A. Dodgers 4-1.

About the Writer
Dylan Nagore, News Editor

Dylan Nagore is a senior at Livermore High School. Dylan just moved to Livermore from Florida in June of 2018. He enjoys public speaking, and even speaks...