Filed under News

Open Heart Kitchen Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Open Heart Kitchen Club

This 2018-2019 school year has brought many new clubs, including the Open Heart Kitchen Club (OHK).

Some serving site locations in the Bay Area include Livermore, Pleasanton, and Dublin. OHK was founded in 1995 and is now the largest hot meal program in the Tri-Valley and they serve approximately 330,000 people annually.

Open Heart Kitchen club was founded by Zoey Bost (11) and Phoebe Omweg (11).  The club meets every Friday at lunch in room 407.

“Open Heart Kitchen is a non profit [organization, based] in the Bay Area, they have many different sites all over in which they serve food to anyone who is hungry and package lunches for kids who would normally go without food,” said Bost.  

Omweg said, ”I think my favorite part of volunteering is the rhythm that everything is going at. Everyone is working together to achieve something for those in the community that need help which is really inspiring. Meeting new people who are working towards the same goal as you is always fun too.”

Bagunu (11) said,”My favorite part of Open Heart Kitchen Club is seeing new people volunteer. It makes me really happy to see classmates make a positive difference in our community. Our club is also super laid back and all of our officers are there to help people be the best versions of themselves.”

While you’re at OHK serving sites, you “serve food, set up tables, and clean up. At begged lunch sites you prepare bags of food like apples and granola bars; basically enough food for a kid to eat over a weekend and we hand those out at school,” according to Bost.

To volunteer at OHK, you have to sign up on the Open Heart Kitchen website to get approved. Once you’re approved, you can sign up online for available shifts at local serving locations.

About the Writer
Heni Mekeres, Staff Writer

Heni Mekeres is a junior at LHS. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and family, watching property brothers, and redecorating her room every 2 weeks....