Students Face Class Changes Among Scheduling Issues

Back to Article
Back to Article

The end of August marks the start of a new school year. With the new school year arrives the annual walk through, school pictures, and new schedules.

However, many students face difficulty with getting classes they signed up for, dropping classes, or end up with frankly a mess of a schedule. With this issue becoming such a common occurrence, students and teachers think there must be a solution.

Academic counselor Edress Waziri said, “90% of students get correct schedules, only 10% don’t get their classes.” He stated that many issues stem from conflicting classes during the registration process. Waziri suggested students register correctly at the end of the year and sign up for less than four AP (Advanced Placement) classes.

Teacher Rachel Martin has classes of mostly juniors and seniors and shared, “I have changed the course intro to be more flexible and wait to go over the syllabus until the second week.” Martin believes an additional counselor and change in the schedule system, such as semesters, would help prevent major mishaps.

Teacher Renee Hennessy stated, “The continued changing students has never been like this year.” She has had new students as late as September 6th, the fourth week of school. Hennessy expressed that the homeroom period should be efficient enough for students to register under the correct requirements.

Hennessy disclosed, “Students who transfer classes have to put in double effort to catch up.”

Student Sydney Zischka (12) echoed similar thoughts, “It’s a damper on the mood, and having a messed up schedule is time consuming.”

Zischka was placed in AP Government rather than the civics class she signed up for. Also, she switched into the new senior LIFE class, only to be behind with the classwork.

Student Bryanna O’Callaghan (12) shared that she was put in the wrong math class and her schedule obstacles have been frustrating. O’Callaghan concluded, “Students should be put in the class they need, not what the counselors think they need.”

Student Nicole Modica (12) has double the work to catch up and stated, “I’m teaching myself out of a textbook.” She confirms she registered correctly, but did not get any classes from her registration. Modica was placed in Physics although she registered for Field Biology and was not placed in Consumer Math even though she requested it.

Modica suggested, “More classes should be added to accommodate a big student sign up.” Now, she is enrolled in an independent study science class due to low class availability.

The students working to form a perfect schedule often faces obstacles such as low class accessibility, conflicting courses, and time constraints.

The effects of incorrect scheduling not only cause teachers to make accommodations for alternating students, but students must balance the stress of missed and incoming assignments.