Filed under Features

Resources for Teens Struggling with Depression and Suicide

Suicide is common, especially among adolescents. According to childtrends.org, 18% of high school students have reported for being suicidal.  

According to American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide has been the third leading cause of death for ages 10-24 since 2016. Adolescents are more vulnerable to both suicidal and depressing thoughts. Having mental issues, being bullied, or having a rough home life can be triggers.

There are warning signs that can indicate someone is suicidal such as talking about wanting to die, self-harm, or hopelessness.

Credit: Pixabay

Livermore High School offers resources to students struggling with mental illness. The 9th grade Freshmen in Transition classes are given a whole week’s curriculum about suicide, the warning signs, and how you can help.

In addition, counselors check up on students who have a history of mental illness, or those showing warning signs. Everyone who works for the district is required to take an online course on suicide and depression before classes begin. 

Livermore city also offers resources to area residents. The Wingate Wilderness Therapy program is offered to teens who have addiction, negative behavior, or who are dealing with mental illness. It’s even offered to teens who live outside of the area and out of the country.

There is also the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. This non-profit organization provides 24-hour support for people who are having suicidal thoughts. Resources are available online via their website, which includes a live chat option, and through their toll-free phone number: 1-800- 273-8255. According to the Lifeline website, “We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.”

About the Writer
Fatima Mendez, El Verdad Section Editor

She’s a Senior at Livermore High School and is currently Section Editor of the Spanish Section, El Verdad. She is Bilingual, speaks Spanish and English...