Filed under Sports

Winter Sports Roundup

Kian Gibson / Sports Section Editor

The new sports season has begun for winter sports athletes, and there is a lot to be excited about. Winter sports include Boys’/Girls’ Basketball, Boys’/Girls’ Soccer, and Wrestling. Here is a roundup of what is going on with these sports.

The Girls Varsity Soccer Program launched the 2017-2018 season off really well with a 2-0 start. Head Coach Chad Harper is thrilled about the way they are performing so far, saying, “It has been really good so far, we are 2-0.” Last year, this team was the NCS champions, and they are looking to achieve that again. The team is made out of mostly new players, as many of the former players graduated last year. Only three players on this year’s roster started last season.

Athletic Director James Petersdorf said, “Our girls’ soccer team should be good again. Our boys’ soccer team is also really good this year.”  

The Boys’ Varsity Soccer Program has started the 2017-2018 season undefeated with two wins over Washington High School and Campolindo High School as well as two ties with Miramonte High School and Acalanes High School. The Cowboys are set to play Dublin High School, Tuesday, December 19th.

Girls’ Basketball season has started out doing well with a record of 2-1 so far. The Lady Cowboys face the San Jose Bulldogs, Tuesday, December 12th. Petersdorf said that he is excited for the girls’ basketball season, and added, “The girls’ basketball team was an NCS team last year and did not lose anybody of value.”    

Petersdorf is also the Head Coach for Boys’ Varsity Basketball, and he believes in this team, explaining, “The boys’ basketball team is actually competitive this year, so it should be a fun winter.”

Boys’ Varsity Basketball is 2-1 so far this season, with wins over Kimball High School and Kennedy High School. The season before had been a very tough year for the Cowboys, ending with a record of 4-22, but they are working on making this a much better season.

Wrestling season is also beginning with a match against Amador Valley High School coming up. The team is already fighting through some injuries, but is very excited to get out there and start wrestling. Deandre Hawkins (Grade 12) believes this will be a tough match, saying, “It will be two heavy weights going at it.”