To Shut Down or Not To Shut Down?

To Shut Down or Not To Shut Down?

Livermore High School has suffered through some rough times over the last few years. The COVID-19 pandemic has caused LHS and its students some stressful events. 

One example was the complete lockdown of the school in the Spring of 2020 until returning in the Spring of 2021. Students lost almost a whole year of their high school experience. LHS lost its clubs and events, prom, and even senior graduation of the class of 2020 because of the pandemic. But with the recent outbreak of new variants of the Coronavirus, there are rumors going around that LHS is going to return to distance learning.

The general opinion about the lockdowns was pretty negative across the country. People could not see their friends, there was a significant drop in student performance, and anxiety levels were at an all-time high as no one knew what was going to happen next. Students at LHS have very mixed opinions on if returning to distance learning is beneficial to the school.

Of course, not all students think the same way. Some believe that it would be beneficial if LHS decided to shut down again and return to online learning. Vimal Iyer (11) said, “I would be okay with distance learning cause I don’t want COVID.”  Less social students at LHS actually seemed to enjoy the distance-based learning and some believe it is the best option.  

Others prefer the in-person learning method much more. Michael Mussari (11) voiced his complaint that the distance program caused a “lack of social interaction.” He says, “I feel that we were put at a disadvantage and offered less opportunity to try new things and grow.” Michael believes that the anxiety and stress of distance learning introduced to LHS were definitely not worth it in the long run.

It is important to remember that it is currently just a rumor that schools might return to online learning and there is no evidence that the school is even considering it. The parents of LHS students even voiced their complaints about shifting back to online learning in a school board meeting earlier this month. Always remember to take all rumors with a grain of salt.