Stanford Medical Youth Science Program

Stanford Medical Youth Science Program is a 5-week long online enrichment program for low-income and underrepresented juniors who are interested in the medicine industry. This program’s main goal is to prepare students for college, help students to navigate careers in medicine, and to make them better leaders and role models in their schools and communities. The SMYSP includes faculty lectures, professional development workshops, virtual networking events, a public health disparities project, virtual tours of hospitals and healthcare organizations, college admission workshops, and more. 

Some research projects include improving health and healthcare access everywhere, addressing racial inequalities in COVID-19 health outcomes, examining low birth outcomes for African American mothers, and combating language barriers in hospital settings. Students will also attend professional development workshops on topics such as public health research methods, health advocacy, academic and career planning, and public speaking.

The requirements to join SMYSP are that you have to be a junior that attends school and lives in one of the 20 counties they teach (listed below), come from a low-income background with little or no history attending college, have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, have an interest in science with at least a B-average in your science classes, and have maturity, intelligence, initiative, and curiosity. 

This program is from June 20 – July 22, 2022 and the application deadline is on March 15, 2022. The SMYSP is tuition free and will be teaching 30 students this year. The counties you need to live and attend school in are Alameda, Contra Costa, Fresno, Madera, Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, San Mate, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, and Yolo. 

This program strives to have more diversity in the medical field and give more opportunities to lower income students by giving them a specific program to teach them what they need to know to excel in the field of medicine. The SMYSP has been going on for 30 years, so if you can’t attend this year because you don’t meet some of the requirements, you might be able to apply next year. If you’d like to apply for SMYSP, you can apply on their website application page.