Why the school hours should be reduced

When you look around your school, you can truly capture the educational environment and its impact on the anxiety habits of teenagers. From shoe tapping to chewing nails, and uncontrollably twisting hair, high school students are constantly experiencing inescapable stress. 

With finals approaching, students are frantically studying, completing work, and spiraling over their grades. While it is needless to say that everyone encounters pressure, high schoolers seem to be under an abnormal amount of stress that can be visibly recognized. Moreover, the education system is generating more tension around grades than there needs to be at an adolescent age. 

Succeeding high school, many students aim to attend college. Keeping this in mind, students with this goal will voluntarily take extra classes that interest them and their future careers. In contrast, students who do not wish to attend college still have to complete all the required courses in order to graduate. These students still have to be present at school from 8 am to 3 pm, 5 days a week, as well as pass the majority of their classes. On top of this, students will come home and complete several hours of homework per night. 

It is truly incomprehensible that teenagers, young adults, who should be enjoying the remainder of their childhood, have to sit at a desk for about 38 hours a week. Furthermore, students come home to complete additional homework, rather than spending time with their family or friends. This preposterous schedule takes away from the “fun” memories you should be able to experience as a teenager. 

While many adults enforce the idea that high school prepares teens for adulthood, I think that high school can degrade a student’s mental health and determination. School simply limits the small amount of power a teenager already has. Therefore, most students struggle to maintain their attention span over the course of the school year and feel trapped in a proceeding loop of instruction. 

Many teens participate in extracurricular activities, work, or care for their families. Given the seven hours of school they need to attend before returning to these actions, teenagers begin to feel drained or over-worked. These common feelings of fatigue result in lower performance in not only athletics or occupations, but in school as well. 

The long hours of school can also result in behavioral issues among students. Students who feel confined within the boundaries of high school may begin to act out and cause disruption in class. Though this may seem inappropriate on the part of the student, their actions are truly a reflection of the unreasonable school schedule. 

The fast curriculum pace also causes students to rush through their work, rather than taking the time to fully comprehend the material. High school is supposed to prepare students for adulthood, but students cease to retain much useful information while they cram to memorize answers. Over time, school has become more about passing tests than understanding and learning the curriculum. 

Shortened school days would only have positive effects on the development of high school students. The increased amount of sleep, motivation, and attention would result in a better understanding of school curriculum and preparation for adulthood. Anxiety levels among students could be greatly reduced by the abbreviation of hours spent in school.