One LHS student killed, five injured in car accident on Del Valle Road near Mines Road

Police report the students were driving in an unincorporated area outside Livermore when they swerved and rolled down a 200-foot embankment.

On Aug. 27  around 11:30 pm, six Livermore High School students were involved in a serious traffic accident on Del Valle Road in an unincorporated area outside Livermore that killed LHS varsity wrestler Hunter Diemert (11) and injured the other five students. 

Dr. Kelly Bowers, Superintendent of Schools, sent an email to parents and staff acknowledging the incident and expressing her and the district’s sadness at the tragedy. “We are all understandably grieving this tragic loss of young life. In this difficult aftermath, we are sending hope and strength for a full recovery to our other injured students involved and their families.¨ wrote Bowers.

On Aug. 28 a two-hour vigil was held at LHS in honor of the boys involved in the accident. Parents, coaches, and friends of the six students all attended and spoke. Many students also attended to show their support and to give moral support to all those involved. 

The Monday after the accident on campus was marked by grief as counselors and service dogs were brought to campus to help support students and staff who were affected by the tragedy. Bowers visited LHS and brought her own dog to help comfort those who needed support. 

A funeral service was held for Diemert at Callaghan Mortuary on Sept. 13. Many students and several staff members attended, and LHS was officially represented by Vice Principal Valerie Nebo. 

GoFundMe campaigns have been started for all six victims of the accident (Barbalinardo, Diemert, Fuller, Christian Cordero, Jadrien Garcia, and Joe Montano) and in an outpouring of community support and grief, they have now raised nearly $350,000 combined. 

Diemert, who was just four weeks shy of his 16th birthday at the time of his death, was remembered fondly by family and friends in the comments of the GoFundMe campaign that was started to help his family with funeral expenses.

Hunter was an amazing friend and always kept the group laughing with jokes, stories, and memes; which were only funny because they came from Hunter,” wrote Jennifer Silva, the campaign organizer. 

“Hunter touched so many lives and still had so much to do in life. The words that come to mind when thinking about this loss are ‘not fair’ and ‘this can’t be real.’ His loss will be felt heavily, for a long time to come by his family, friends, and all who loved him.”

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.