LHS Senior Awards

Livermore High School’s 2021 Senior Awards Ceremony premiered on May 25 virtually. The event was pre-recorded by teachers and faculty members and uploaded to the Cowboy Alley Pro YouTube channel

Each year, seniors are selected to receive awards from the staff at LHS. These awards from each department cover core subjects like math, english, and social sciences. Awards are also offered for the arts, Advanced Placement (AP) distinctions, and world languages.

During the ceremony, two students were honored as valedictorian and salutatorian. Valedictorian is awarded to the student with the highest Grade Point Average (GPA), and the Salutatorian has the second-highest cumulative GPA.

With a weighted GPA of 4.75, Manvitha Nandamuri (12) is the Valedictorian for the Class of 2021. 

Nandamuri said, “I feel incredibly honored to have achieved this. I’m happy to see the hard work that I have put in yield such positive results, both the award and all the other great things it’s given me.”

Nandamuri has been extremely involved in both academics and extracurriculars. She has taken numerous AP courses while participating in basketball and track. She has also received awards for excellence in the science field, and continuously been on the principal’s honor roll.

She said, “My favorite part of high school was my involvement. Through the clubs, classes, and sports that I participated in, I gained many friends who have played pivotal roles in changing my perspective and learning to be more accepting of world views that clash against mine.”

As far as classes and teachers go, Nandamuri said her favorite class was AP US History. She continued that she entered hating history, but came out enjoying it. It also offered her a challenge by developing critical thinking and argumentative skills that have proved versatile.

Regarding underclassmen, Nandamuri said, “I feel like this is a common piece of advice, but I think it is one that has to be reiterated. One of the best things someone can do is get involved. Trying new things is enriching in itself, but in high school, it exposes you to new people that can make your high school experience just that much better.”

The Salutatorian for the class of 2021 is Atticus Cummings, with a weighted GPA of 4.67. 

Cummings has stayed busy throughout high school, participating on the robotics team and various music ensembles. While keeping up his involvement, he has also taken many APs and consistently been on the principal’s honor roll.

He has kept his academic motivation through his friends who took the same classes. Cummings said, “It helped me a lot, since I could collaborate with them. That’s definitely the biggest help.”

Cummings said, “I know there are a lot of other people with nearly the same GPA, and it’s just a ranking. I just happen to have a higher ranking, but it’s great and I’m very happy to have this title.”

Of all the classes he’s taken, Cummings said one of his favorites is AP Physics. Cummings said, “I loved learning how to calculate in the real world. That doesn’t really make sense, but it’s kind of empowering to be able to learn how it works and just be able to do calculations and figure out what’s going to happen.”

After four years of extracurriculars, Cummings said some of his best experiences were in band and robotics. However, robotics was more applicable to his future career. 

For future freshmen and underclassmen, Cummings said, “Go for it. A lot of the classes that seem really intimidating, they’re hard, but not unmanageable. If you can, if you are willing to put in the time and the effort, you can learn a lot of stuff.”

Cummings went on to add, “Enjoy high school, but the decisions you make with classes and school in high school will have a huge impact on your life.”

Each year, LHS sees many impressive, driven students graduate, and this year is no exception. Congratulations to the Class of 2021, as well as this year’s Valedictorian and Salutatorian.