LHS Adopt a Senior Program Up and Running

The senior class of 2021 has had a high school experience unlike any other. Since March 13 of 2020, students at Livermore High School (LHS) and other schools within the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District (LVJUSD) have been attending school online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As a result of the quarantine and restrictions imposed by the state of California, seniors have been unable to participate in several activities that many look forward to in their final year of high school. Luckily for LHS seniors, parents took it upon themselves to create a new program called “Adopt a Senior.”

“We wanted to make sure the Class of 2021 got something unique to help represent the unique senior year they are having,” said Christine Foster, an LHS parent that worked to provide this opportunity for seniors and their families. “We had seen this program happening at other schools and wanted our seniors to have it also. After talking to other senior moms, we decided to figure how to make this happen for our seniors here at LHS.”

Seniors that sign up will be “adopted” by a family, who will give them small gifts to let them know they are being thought about. Foster explained that the group hopes the activity will help to “shine a little light of happiness and show [the seniors] how much they are cared about.” 

Seniors can sign up to be adopted by filling out a Google Form, in which they will be asked to answer questions about their favorite color, favorite snack, and more so their “adopter” can get to know them a little better, and buy them gifts they will appreciate. The program is open until the end of the school year, or until all members of the LHS senior class are assigned to a family.

Parents interested in adopting a senior or making a donation can sign up using a Google Form as well. Once signing up, they can choose to be an adoptive parent or can choose to donate a gift for seniors who aren’t adopted. 

More information about the “Adopt a Senior” program can be found on the Nhóm Facebook Group.