Email From Principal Gladden Confirms New Wednesday Schedule

In an email sent out on Dec. 28, 2020, the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District has confirmed a possible new Wednesday schedule for high school students in Livermore. 

Starting on Jan. 13th, the new schedule would add five mandatory instructional classes from 8:20 – 11:40 and combines the Cowboy Advisory Period (CAP) that usually takes place on Wednesdays with students’ third-period class.

Each period would be thirty minutes in length (aside from an extra ten minutes for CAP in the third-period class) with ten-minute breaks between classes.

The email was written by LHS Principal, Helen Gladden, who said that while she knows that some students will not like the additional classes, she asks for students to yield to the change.

“We recognize that changes to the schedule are disconcerting for some,” Gladden said. “Please bear with us as we continue to refine our program in the best interest of student learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Gladden’s email also hints there may eventually be a shift to online classes in the morning.

We believe the addition of Instructional Time to Wednesdays gives us the opportunity to begin to transition back to instructional in the mornings,” Gladden said. 

This new schedule is still under debate, as the news has been met with backlash from students, teachers, and parents. A survey was recently sent out to determine if students would prefer having Wednesday classes in the morning or afternoon and the results will most likely be announced in the coming weeks.