LVJUSD Students to see Distance Learning Schedule Changes

The Director of Community Engagement at the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District (LVJUSD), Philomena Rambo, sent an email to teachers on Dec. 18 covering the schedule changes that are being discussed. As a response from parents, teachers, and students, schedule changes will be done in order to: “include more time for students and teachers to meet and for students to engage online with their classmates.” 

Administrators will finalize the “Distance Learning 2.0” at some point before Monday, Jan. 11, 2021, when students will begin to adhere to these changes. The district is aware that these changes will impact students and their families, so they want to ensure that students have time to adjust to the new learning schedule.

For students in elementary school, the school day will be extended to 1:30 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays for those in TK and K. The school day will lengthen to 3:00 on these days for students in the other grades. In addition to the lengthed schedule on these days, structured class time will be added to Wednesdays. These changes are being done for “students to engage in additional learning and support, including Science, Resource, Speech, intervention, small groups. “

Science classes will also be held twice weekly beginning the week of Jan. 4. One class will be held with a teacher and the other will be done asynchronously.

Students in middle schools will have their morning support periods shifted to synchronous learning where students and teachers will meet in an online class. In addition, Wednesdays will have scheduled support time and will continue to leave space for a Homeroom period as well.

High school students will have extended synchronous periods on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. There will also be a scheduled time for each class on Wednesdays.

Rambo also added that the announcement of the COVID-19 vaccine and the hope for the end of “Covid Winter” has led the district to discuss sending parents of students in grades TK-12 and altered Hybrid Commitment Survey to come 2021. Within this new survey, as a result of feedback from families with children in elementary school, a third option will be added for students in TK-5, which states, “I’d like to remain with my current teacher, regardless of whether he/she is assigned to distance or hybrid.”

Rambo concluded that the district hopes to survey all parents in January of 2021, “once we have a better understanding of when we will move to the Red Tier.”