Five Ways to Keep a Positive Mindset as the Trimester Ends

As the trimester comes to an end, it is normal for students at Livermore High School to feel anxious and stressed as they prepare to take their final exams. Luckily, there are several ways students can combat these negative emotions.

Starting the day off strong is crucial in having a positive attitude. Being grateful and present each morning will create a balance throughout the day, leaving students with a more cheerful and kind mindset. Something as simple as listening to music while getting ready can be an instant mood boost. 

It’s important to take real breaks. Today, many individuals are quick to charge their  phones, laptops, and material things. However, they typically ignore charging their  mind, body, and soul. Taking a break to unwind after class or once all homework is done helps to increase productivity, concentration and energy,which helps to rejuvenate the brain. By doing so, patience and tolerance for others is gained. Watching an episode of a funny show and relaxing on the couch, is just an example of a mindless activity that can help with the stress of the end of the trimester. 

Many say that laughter is the best medicine and this is true, the action of laughter reduces pain, increases job performance, connects people emotionally, and improves the flow of oxygen to the heart and brain according to Psychology Today. Having humor in life allows individuals  to feel euphoric and at peace. When meeting new people humour can be an effective tool for not just attracting the person to you but also for overcoming awkwardness. So surround yourself with funny people, shows, movies, and have a laugh so good you get defined abs after.

Use positive affirmations daily. If we change the way we think, we can begin to change the actions that we take. Using positive self talk can help us set in motion the actions that will bring us greater rewards. Be your own best cheerleader and uplift and empower yourself so that you can do the same for others.

Having something to look forward to is crucial in keeping a positive mindset. Looking forward to even the smallest parts of your day or upcoming events can make you more appreciative of the things you have, and can give you a sense of purpose and motivation to move forward. Planning weekly hang outs with friends or having a Taco Tuesday every week could instill an inner excitement that would be contagious to those around you.