Changes to Competitive Fall Sports Seasons

In order to ensure that athletes have the ability to compete safely in their chosen sports, adjustments have been made in regards to how the Livermore High School sports season will continue into the 2020-2021 school year.

The LHS sports season is scheduled to begin in Dec. of 2020 and the ways in which students will be competing this year will be different due to the decisions made by the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). 

Some coaches have been informed that the number of counties in which the teams will compete will be reduced going forward into the season.

The LHS girls tennis team coach, Nora Hart, said, “tennis competitions will be held as normal but we will only be competing against schools in Alameda County and not the schools located in Contra Costa County.” 

In addition, Hart said that because the girls’ season does not begin until March, an overlap of the girls and boys teams will occur, and members will need to, “share the courts for practices, and then matches will need to be worked around by both teams.”

Other coaches said that the manner in which games are played will be starkly different from previous years.

Coach Jose Luis Rodriguez, the LHS boys and girls volleyball coach, said that games for the freshman and sophomore team, as well as the junior varsity teams, will be played at one site while varsity teams will play at another. 

Additionally, Rodriguez said the teams’ planned response to in-person games and sanitation. 

“If we play games in season, we will be using multiple balls. After each rally, a new ball will be used in order to sterilize each ball in between rallies.”

Students who are interested in participating in a fall sport of their choice this year will need to fill out the protocol contract located on the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District website.

Updates on California guidelines and sports information can be found on the CIF website.