Green Engineering Academy English Teacher Shares what Inspired her to take up Teaching

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alexa Malloy is a Green Engineering Academy English teacher.  Malloy went to Troy High School in Fullerton, California. Prior to her teaching career, which began in 2001, she worked as an attorney.

She began her teaching career as a student-teacher at Marylin Avenue Elementary School in Livermore, California and later continued at Arroyo Mocho Elementary School in Pleasanton, California.

Malloy was inspired to teach by her son. He is on the autism spectrum, and this inspired her to volunteer at his school to make sure he was doing well. His teacher was the one who recommended that she become a teacher. 

When Malloy is making lesson plans, she reads the material and tries to make connections that students will understand.

Malloy became an English teacher because there was a position available at LHS. This was a perfect opportunity for her, as she loves reading and teaching literature and poetry. Her favorite piece to teach is Hamlet by William Shakespeare.

Malloy’s advice for students is, “Don’t waste your time, you’re not young for long.”