Post High-School Survival Guide

I’ll be the first to admit, college isn’t for everyone. It’s great for those who will be pursuing a job in a field needing college education; it’s also a good way to find out what you like and dislike. Other enjoyable aspects of college are social interactions. But what if you’re one of the people who can’t afford college, aren’t interested in college, or are unsure at this time.

The aim of this article is to layout plans and routes one would take if they weren’t yet dead set on one single path. 

For the individual who can’t afford it right away but still wish to go to college, there are a few options to consider. The first being, of course, financial aid, and scholarships available. All colleges offer some form of financial aid, and they will often help you through the process of going through financial aid. Types of aid include state, federal, and institutional aid.  For military families, often there are aid programs for families of active duty and veterans. 

Secondly, there are grants and scholarships that you could apply for. Scholarships are available for many reasons, and some often go unheard of just because there are so many. But be aware that some are scams, so ensure that the scholarship is from a reputable source. The website niche.com has a good list of scholarships that you can apply for that have been vetted and are offered by trustworthy sources. 

The final option is student loans, which should be an almost last resort as the repayment on these loans can at times be more than the loan itself. These loans are tricky to navigate but in a pinch can help you make college payments when you need to. Loans are offered by the federal government and private banks. The federal loans come in two different levels, the first being for undergraduates,$5,500-$12,1500 allowed to be borrowed per year, up to postgraduate loans, in which you can borrow up to 20,500 a year. Studentaid.gov has laid out a full list of details on how loans will affect you now and later on in life. 

For those unsure about college there are a few paths to take. Some part-time jobs will offer reimbursement for tuition costs. Starbucks, for example, will pay for you to take online classes from Arizona State University. Community colleges or Junior colleges are a way for you to get the same, if not a better, education post-high school for a fraction of the cost. The armed forces are also great options if your unsure of what to do. They offer many, many, many different pathways once you’re in, and help you a lot once your out. While in the service you can go to college on the governments’ ticket. 

There are plenty of stories of drop out making it big, but those are one in a million stories. But there are plenty of jobs that don’t need a degree. Some being autobody tech, carpenter, metal fabrication, and plumping. Despite the negative connotations with them, they make bank, thestreet.com has compiled a list of 25 good-paying jobs. Most require job training or apprenticeships for the job. 

So there you go, a guide on navigating life post-high school. Good luck friends.