Livermore High School Green Engineering Teacher Shares Inspirations with Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dorothy Morallos is a Green Engineering teacher at Livermore High School, she has been a teacher at LHS for two years. Before working at LHS she worked at San Francisco Unified, Castro Valley, and Livermore Valley Charter School teaching middle school math and science. 

She went to Freehold Township High School in New Jersey, and she started as a student teacher in 2012.  Before becoming a teacher she worked as a civil engineer for five years.

What Morallos likes most about teaching is being able to make it relevant to students’ lives, the community, and being able to be creative and dynamic. Her favorite thing to teach is anything that has a building component or a challenge. When planning her lessons she starts with the main concepts, then looks for a real world project that could reinforce those concepts. 

What inspired Morallos to start teaching was actually her own educational experience. From when she was younger up until now she has always wanted to teach. She wanted to give people the same kind of experiences she had while in school that caused her to like education so much. 

When Morallos first left the engineering career she wanted to become a math teacher, and then someone she knew suggested that she would make a good middle school teacher so she decided to give that a try.

She actually didn’t choose to become an engineering teacher. According to Morallos, Vice Principal Roxana Mohammed had watched her work and decided she needed to begin teaching engineering.

Some advice Morallos would give students is, “Live your life with no regrets and make sure you like the person looking back at you in the mirror.”