The Tournament of Champions

The Livermore High School band placed third in The Tournament of Champions out of 35 different schools from around the Bay Area. The school to take first was Santa Cruz High School. Championships were held last weekend, November 16, at Lincoln High School. 

Caitlin Robertson (grade 10) said that she believes the band did well at the championships, and they got third place because the judging was tougher than normal. She also believes that her section, the Euphoniums did fairly well, despite the fact that they have a brand new member, and that the section that performed the best were the Clarinets.

Kyle Benko (grade 10) believes that overall the band performed well and his section, the Trombones, also did fairly well while competing. He agrees with Robertson that the judging was tougher and that they did well. When asked what they enjoyed most about band they both had similar replies, Benko said that he loves the community, and how much it’s like a family. Robertson said she loves the people and once again it’s like a big family, and that band is an amazing community. 

LHS band teacher Justin Enright believes that the judging was fair even though the students said it was tougher and possibly slightly harsh. When asked how he thinks the band did, he stated that the band went out there and did the best they could. Enright said that one reason he enjoys teaching band is because he gets the opportunity to teach different material each year, and when asked why students should join band he stated that being in the music program helps your education and increases your intelligence.

When Robertson and Benko were asked the same question they said, overall it’s a great high school experience, you learn more than just music, you learn life skills, and that they just need more people.