Unexpected Blackout Confuses Students and Staff

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Oct. 17 around 10:00 am, there was an unexpected power outage at Livermore High School, as well as Arroyo Seco Elementary School and a portion of Jackson Avenue Elementary School. According to PG&E, the power outage was caused by a “transformer problem,” which is an issue with the flow of electricity, from 4th Street.

Nathalie Weber
Pictured is a dark hallway in the office.

As soon as the power went out, there was an announcement over the school speakers to continue class as usual. Vice Principal Brett Christopher said, “It kind of came in waves; our whole campus was dark for maybe 20 minutes, but then there were other parts during the power outage where we had power for certain things, but other things were offline.”

Pictured is the back portion of the office only lit up from sunlight and the clock off.

Vice Principal Roxanna Mohammed said she didn’t have much of a reaction and was talking to a student in the office during the outage. Mohammed stated, “A power outage is nothing to get worried or stressed out about and we do have a plan in place if it exceeds a certain amount of time. Typically we’re looking at four hours.” She also mentioned that if the power outage went into lunch hours food services already have contingency plans. 

If a power outage happens again, school administrators say their main concern is to make sure students are comfortable and that everything is under control.