Changes made to the Dress Code

Recently the Livermore Valley Joint Unified School District made changes regarding the dress code in schools. Principal of Livermore High School Helen Gladden commented on the changes in the dress code by saying that “Teenagers like their individuality right, and we want to let you express yourself as much as possible without being completely inappropriate”. The official changes made to the dress code at the board meeting were sent by Scott Vernoy are as follows:

• BP/AR 5332 Student Dress Code –Policy updated to prohibit discriminatory enforcement of the dress code, including, but not limited to, discrimination based on gender identity, gender expression, or religious or cultural observance.

The Board of Education believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a productive learning environment. The Board expects students to wear clothing that is suitable for the school activities in which they participate. Students shall not wear clothing that presents a health or safety hazard or is likely to cause a substantial disruption to the educational program.

The principal or designee is authorized to enforce this policy and shall inform any student who does not reasonably conform to the dress code.

Significant modifications include:

• The dress code shall not be enforced in a manner that discriminates against a particular viewpoint or results in a disproportionate application of the dress code based on students’ gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, household income, or body type or size.
  • When practical, students shall not be directed to correct a dress code violation during instructional time or in front of other students.
  • Hats, caps, hoodies and other head coverings shall not be worn indoors, unless for religious reasons or valid medical reasons, authorized by a physician.
  • Gender bias language was removed which included, backless or strapless tops, low-cut tops and dresses, shorts, skirts, and dresses that are shorter than thumbs length when arms are at the side.